January 14, 2013

Formal Dining Room Tour...and Plans

Let me first say a huge thank you to Lyuba over at Will Cook For Smiles for nominating my tutorial on How To Make A Wine Cork Wreath.  Y'all should check out her blog when you have a few minutes if you haven't already...there's a little something for everyone.

Okay then, it's time to share our formal dining room with y'all.  Since we bought our home new I had (and in some rooms, still have) a blank slate.  I love blank slates...nothing to fix, cover, change or hide.

Since we entertain our families on holidays and such the formal dining room was the first room we painted and furnished.  I have long wanted a deep burgundy dining room, I mean as far back as I can remember.  And that's exactly what I got.  This view is what you see when you walk into our home and look directly to the right:


The furniture we bought at Haverty's in 2008.  It was discontinued and this was their floor model, I fell in lurve, lucky for me so did the hubs and we got it on sale!  I was hesitant to buy a floor model but we looked over it with eagle's eyes and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it.  Score!


This is the other side of the room, (the window treatments are from JCPenney in Soft Gold):


Just look at the detail on the wood:



Here's the china cabinet, which I love, love, love (and no, it's not leaning, I think I was though):


And with the chandelier turned off:


Close up to spy on what all is inside:


The china set is clear burgundy, passed down to me from my mom, I love the set but we all (even mom) agree that they need to be replaced with a white set...that's on my "to find list".  Once again, I want that "pop" factor.

And the sideboard, I'd like to add a couple of buffet table lamps and maybe a tall apothecary jar beverage dispenser, and yes that mirror got a makeover, before I repainted it, it was silver...total silver:


Okay, enough of the furniture, back to painting...Oh Emm Gee...we painted and painted and painted, three coats total.  I didn't think this burgundy was ever going to cover the white walls.  The result was beautiful though, it's the exact color I wanted and totally worth the effort.  It's difficult to capture the true color on camera/computer, I have yet to achieve that one, maybe when I get my new camera for my birthday this year.  Anyway, it always shows a tad pinkish, trust me, it's not, in reality it is true deep burgundy.

This is the straight on view:


And the view from the kitchen:


After we painted, we installed the crown molding and chair rail, now that was interesting.  It was the first time we'd ever done that...ever.  At the time we used a miter box to make the cuts...seriously...a miter box.  We learned our lesson, when we do the rest of the house it's nothing but power tools for us.

I love the "eggs" on the crown molding, it's also on the chair rail.


These corner blocks are a life saver and I like the look of them much more than I thought I would:


Now the future plan is almost funny.  Y'all, after all that painting, we're going to repaint the bottom back to it's original color, white-ish.  I know right?  But after seeing sooooo many other pictures of other dining rooms with the lower half a crisp white color, we've realized we like that so much better.

Plus, we've noticed that our furniture doesn't "pop" as it should.  I'm positive that with the lower portion below the chair rail painted the same color as our trim that it will do the trick.  And yes, I know what you're thinking so let me answer that for ya real quick...we're adding trim molding as well.

This is the look I'm going after:

Source
Are ya feeling it?  Yeah, that is so much better!  Just look at the photo below and see what I'm talkin' about:


Too much burgundy.  This is another view of the room:


Don't you agree that will look 100 times better when we repaint "white" below the chair rail?  I agree.

On with the tour, this little beauty (well it's not really little, it's nearly 3 feet tall) was given to me by my mom.  It was her's and has seen many color changes over the years that she had it and may see more but for now I love it the way it is.


And I just love this mirror and shelf, a flea market find and I didn't even have to paint it!


Finally, the centerpiece of the room.  My chandelier.  A cherished treasure given to me by my grandmother, God rest her soul, she had it hanging in her own dining room for many, many years. Imported from Italy long ago, it's solid brass with genuine crystals and I wouldn't change a thing about it.  I adore my chandy.


I hope you've enjoyed the tour of my formal dining room.

Let me now take a moment to apologize for the quality of these pictures and all the others previously. Right now I have only a (nice) "point and shoot" camera that I struggle with all the time trying to get decent shots.  Our previous DSLR bit the bullet and honestly, they improve cameras so quickly that we opted to buy a new one as opposed to getting the old one repaired.  I cannot wait to get a new camera and obviously I need one badly!!!

I shared this post with all the great blogs hosting link parties found here.

40 comments:

  1. Hi Audrey, I've enjoyed touring your dining room. Yes, I agree about adding the white below the chair rail...it really will set off your beautiful furniture. So glad I found your blog on Maria's Our Home Away From Home sidebar.
    Oh, one more little detail...I'm a native Texan living in the mountains of Tennessee. Followed you on Linky today. Hop over for visit. Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen and thanks for stopping by, I will check out your blog most definitely! Have a great day.

      Delete
  2. Three cheers for red walls and beautiful molding! The perfect combo for an elegant dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erika and thanks for stopping by! Have a great day.

      Delete
  3. Lovely room and I agree, I think white on the lower walls would be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti and thanks for stopping by! I can't wait to get it done, I think it's gonna change the entire look of the room. Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  4. I love your crown moulding! Simply elegant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by! Have a great evening.

      Delete
  5. I can imagine your beautiful dining room full of family and friends. Coming over today from Richella's link.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Glenda, we do love to cook for family and friends, that is true. Have a great evening.

      Delete
  6. Stopping by from the Imparting Grace linky!
    What a BEAUTIFUL room! I have fallen in love with red over the past few years-my living room wall had a dark red accent wall in it. We moved and are renting, but the next house we buy shortly down the road will most likely have red in it too! =) I really like your vase from your mother too.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Josanne and thanks for stopping by. I love reds too, any warm color. Have a great weekend yourself.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful dining room, the suite is absolutely gorgeous too. I agree that the bottom would be beautiful in the white colour. Beautiful, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty for the compliment and thanks so much for stopping by. I can't wait to get that done, hopefully within a couple of weeks! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful room, Audrey! I love the future plans too--and I'm a huge fan of your red walls!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie and thanks for stopping by :) Have a great day!

      Delete
  9. I agree, the white on the lower would look much better. Your furniture is truly beautiful. I adore egg and dart molding too and yours looks great. I have had a red kitchen with white cabinets and a red dining room for the past 8 years. It was fun and energetic, but enough already. I just painted it the most beautiful color gray and have posted the dining room today. Come by and check it out...it just might be your next color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, thanks for stopping by...I just literally spent an hour on your blog. We have similar tastes, that's a fact. I posted on your new gray dining room...which I love by the way, and yes, now you DO have me thinking. :) I love your blog, started following today. Have a good one.
      Audrey

      Delete
  10. new follower! Your dining room reminds me of my own, also located to the right as you walk in the front door. Mine is cherry cobbler red and I have the white chair rail....Constantly torn between leaving it all red or painting the bottom white...or gold...can't seem to make a decision! Maybe you can help me decide with your finished photos! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, thank you very much for stopping by and for the follow. Hubby and I will be tackling this project this coming weekend or next and I promise to post photos...could help you decide. :) Have a great day!

      Delete
  11. Your dining room is beautiful, but I totally agree that it will be "perfect" with the lower part painted white and with the addition of the picture molding. Your lovely furniture will indeed pop when you get that finished. I adore your chancy, & what a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol and thanks for stopping by, I'll be sure to share after photos too :) Have a great evening.

      Delete
  12. Your dining room is lovely! Totally agree about painting white below the chair rail to make your furniture pop! Such a crisp, finished look. Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have the dining room for that look! gorgeous! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry and thanks for stopping by! Have a great day.

      Delete
  14. What an amazing and elegant dining room. Looks like the old Dynasty TV set.

    Small House / Big Sky Donna / White Oak Studio Designs / SW Michigan
    Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
    Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
    Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (for portfolio of chalk painted work)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna and thanks for stopping by. Have a great rest of the weekend.

      Delete
  15. Very elegant and pretty! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary and thanks for stopping by! Have a great evening.

      Delete
  16. How lucky you were to find pieces that you love and on sale. That's always a bonus when it comes to creating a beautiful room. The wall color you selected is perfect for the wood tones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu and thanks for stopping by, have a great evening!

      Delete
  17. Gorgeous! LOVE that chandelier! Makes it even better that it was your grandmother's!

    Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenna and thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  18. Your dining room reminds me a lot like mine. I have the same wall color and carpet color, the same crown molding. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Tanya, great minds think alike right? ;) Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  19. I adore your beautiful dining room. I love all the crown molding you added too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee, it's one of my favorite rooms of our home, I think it's because it's filled with so many wonderful memories of family gathering together (and it's just plain purdy, lol). Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  20. Gorgeous! I love the crown molding! Thanks for linking up at my Pin Me Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana and thanks so much for stopping by today. Have a wonderful evening!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by, I love comments and try to answer every one of them so come on, talk to me :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...