January 10, 2013

Not Decor, But Jasper, My Kitty

(Oops, I pushed "publish" instead of "save", I apologize to those who were reading when I "reverted to draft").

Yesterday was a bust.  A bad, very bad day.  I spent most of the morning at the Vet's office with my cat, Jasper.  But before I get into that let me give you a little background info on the little guy.

We moved in our new home in March of 2007.  In August of that same year, just a few months later, I was in our backyard doing something (don't remember what) and I hear a "meow".  So naturally I look toward the sound and here comes this beautiful gray tabby cat, headed right for me, no fear. Now I was warned about feral cats out here in the country so I was cautious...but he was friendly as he could be...and hungry.  Here he is a few days later:


So I fed him a package of tuna.  Then another.  And another.  Then I gave him some milk.  He was purring like ca-ray-zee after all that.  He had no collar, no tags and I told myself (and hubby) that if he stuck around I'd take him to the vet for a check up and shots and he would be our kitty.


He stuck around...it's been almost 6 years.  Now, I'm not a cat person, never even owned one but I fell in love with my kitty.  We named him Jasper, he just looked like a Jasper.


Jasper despises being inside, he'll come in for a few minutes but it won't last, he'll be back at the door meowing non-stop until I let him out.  Here he is chilling in the house for a few (look at those chubby cheeks):


He loves being outside, but that comes with obvious dangers.  The biggest of which is fighting with other cats and critters.  Which brings me to yesterday.

Jasper comes home every night at sundown and is gone usually before I get up at 6:00.  So yesterday morning I was up early so I could nab him and put him in the crate for transport to the vet's office. There was a spot on the left side of his face (I will spare you the pictures) that was fur-less, scabby, bloody and swollen and it was bigger than it was the few days before...in other words, getting worse, it was not just a little, insignificant battle wound.

When I first got a really good look at it my heart sank and I got a knot in my throat.  It was b.a.d.

Turns out, he got hurt in a fight and the wound got infected and turned into an abscess, some of the skin had even become necrotic.  I sat in the vet's office, listening to her explain this to me and in between sobs I managed to ask her if she could help him and if he would be alright.  She gave no guarantees (as they never do) but was optimistic.

She shaved his cheek, drained the abscess and removed all the necrotic tissue, all while he was awake mind you, she said he was "stoic" and didn't fight her at all (such a good kitty).  She gave him a healthy injection of antibiotics and I'm to give him 2 pills per day for two weeks.  As well as keep the wound irrigated and Neosporin put on it...and I have a weak stomach.  Ugh.  I just want him to heal the way he should and minimize his pain.

...so he can do more of this:


He has a h.o.l.e. in his cheek..a HOLE!  And raw bloody areas where they removed the necrotic tissue.  Again, I'll spare you the pictures.  It hurts my soul to know he's in pain, uncomfortable or unhappy.  In case you haven't figured it out yet...I'm a huge animal advocate...but I only have one kitty and one pooch and they are my "children" since my own child has grown up.

Anyway...that is what my day consisted of, I just haven't had the desire to do anything around the house, not even laundry.

As Scarlet said, "tomorrow is another day".

(Update:  2/2/2012, Jasper is back to his old self, feeling better than ever, YAY!)


16 comments:

  1. What a little cutie, I'm sure he'll be fine. Our pets are part of the family so we hurt when they hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martina and thank you for stopping by, have a good day.

      Delete
  2. Hello Audrey, beautiful name, by the way. I just found your lovely blog. Jasper is a sweetie. I hope he recovers quickly. We are doggie people, even though we like all animals. Take care....Your newest follower, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda and thanks for stopping by. We're dog people too, the star of our family is our Mini Dachshund, he is a little over 13 years old. But, Jasper stole our hearts and we love him dearly. I guess that just kinda happens. Thanks for following too! Have a good day.

      Delete
  3. I used to have two cats that slept on the deck railing like that. I was always afraid they would fall off.
    I have accidentally hit publish more than once. Gives me a panic attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I always keep an eye on him because of that, it's a long way down! And that's what I did too Kim, I noticed I had 2 comments on that post and I hadn't even finished typing it yet, I took a break to cook dinner and instead of hitting save I hit publish...mortified. Thanks for stopping by, I hope you have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  4. Oh my heart is breaking for poor Jasper and SO thankful he has such a loving owner.
    I will keep him in my prayers.

    I have 2 doxies ~ Franz a black and tan and Rudi a red. Both are rescued loves. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Laura and thanks for your compassion for Jasper. Doxies are totally unique aren't they? Gizmo is my 13 year old black mini-dach...he's a sweet boy, but showing his age. I've always said it's too bad that our pets (which are members of our families) couldn't live as long as we do. Thanks again for stopping by and have a good day.

      Delete
  5. Audrey, I think cats find us... not the other way around!!! We had a cat that was always getting beat up and had more abscesses than I can say! They are gross, but we all survived. What a great cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, I love that..."cats find us". It makes me feel better to know that so many cats survive the abscesses, I tell ya, it is awful looking, I'm guessing they look a lot worse than they actually are. Still, I'll be glad, as I'm sure he will too, when it is gone! Thanks for stopping by and have a great night!

      Delete
  6. What a cute wee kitty and I am so glad to read in the update that he is back to full health now :)

    Thanks so much for linking up!

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah and thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  7. I totally love that lounging photo of Jasper :)

    Thanks for linking up!

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah and thanks for stopping by today! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  8. Stopping by from Sarah's Caturday link up. I take care of a feral colony that appeared just off my backyard and can relate. One of the cats I care for outdoors , named Pumpkin, recently had this happen with her eye. She is also getting better now.So glad yours is too! Jasper is so sweet and cute. Because lots of people have misconceptions ( I was also warned about these ferals)I have a section on my blog devoted to sharing the sweet stories of their character and little adventures. I am also an animal advocate (ever since the first colony cat found me ). It was a joy stopping by to take a peek at yours. ~Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebekah, sounds like you and I have a lot in common when it comes to little creatures. :) Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by, I love comments and try to answer every one of them so come on, talk to me :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...