January 28, 2013

Scrumptious, Delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup

I'm a native Texan and like most Texans I love, love, love Tex-Mex Cuisine.  When I moved to Virginia I was SO disappointed in the lack of Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurants.  There are a few, but none compare to what we had back home.

When I was in my early 20's I waited tables at the famous Alamo Cafe.  At the time there were only a few locations in Texas, one of which was in Dallas on restaurant row and that's the one I worked in. Apparently they no longer have restaurants in the DFW area but still have two locations in San Antonio.


Back when I worked there money was tight and if you worked a double they let you eat for free, from a select few entree's of course.  But if I had extra money I always opted to upgrade my meal and get the Chicken Tortilla Soup.  Oh-emm-Geeee it was Heavenly, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.


After living in Virginia for a few years, deprived of any decent Mexican food and NO Chicken Tortilla Soup to be found anywhere, I decided to duplicate the soup as best as I could and after a few failed attempts, I nailed it.


Now, I'm not one to boast about my cooking or anything for that matter but I gotta tell ya, I doubt the owner's of the restaurant would be able to tell the difference.

Here's the recipe, it's easy to make, serves a lot of people and leaves an impression you (or your family or guests) will soon forget.  So Yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicken Tortilla Soup (Alamo Cafe' Style)

Ingredients for soup:
1 small onion - chopped
6 cloves garlic - minced
6 cups chicken broth
3 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilis
3 tablespoons dried cilantro
5 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sugar
6 tablespoons lime juice
4 chicken breasts cut into strips

For serving:
Monterrey Jack Cheese - shredded
Tortilla Chips
Avocado & Sour Cream (optional)

Add all ingredients into a big crock pot, including uncooked chicken strips.  Stir and cook covered on high for a total of 8-10 hours or until chicken and onions are completely cooked.

About 6 hours into cooking, remove all chicken strips and “shred” them.  (I use 2 forks to pull each strip apart and shred it).  Then add the shredded chicken back into the pot, stir and cook the remaining time.

Fill each bowl with soup, top with several tortilla chips and then top with Jack cheese.  Add a dollop of sour cream and a slice of avocado on top (optional).  Serve and ENJOY.

If you ever make it to San Antonio and you like Mexican/Tex-Mex food, I highly recommend that you visit the Alamo Cafe', you will NOT be sorry I promise.



I shared this post with all the great blogs hosting link parties found here.

5 comments:

  1. This looks messy and delicious all that the same time. it looks like something I would enjoy eating ate home so no one could see me licking my fingers :)
    I am following you from the hop and would love for you to follow along.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/2013/01/steel-pan-and-good-time.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jillian and thanks for stopping by! I'll check out your blog :) Have a great day.

      Delete
  2. Sounds wonderful! I might just make this tomorrow. All the ingredients are here now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you will love it. If you make it, come by and let me know what you think! Thanks for visiting Stacey and have a great night.

      Delete
  3. I live in San Antonio and love Alamo Cafe's Chickn Tortilla Soup. This looks a lot like it. I'll have to make this and try it out. Sorry you can't get any real Tex-Mex where you are. Let me tell you, all the homeade flour tortillas are still amazing! I'll eat one today for you. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love comments and try to answer every one of them so come on, talk to me :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...