January 23, 2013

Stainless Steel Sink...Stainless? Really?

It seems that everyday I do something or see something in my home that makes me think, "if I was a home builder I would build quality homes filled with quality products and NOT cut corners".

I'm sure we can all agree on the aggravations that "builder's grade" products present us with.  Honey-oak cabinetry, one piece-no personality shower units, beyond basic faucets, below grade carpeting and really almost...everything including the kitchen sink.

Take a look a my weird, country well water stained, scratched stainless steel sink after I scrubbed it with Dawn, Comet and Windex...and when all else failed, the Magic Eraser...which wasn't so magical.



Here's another sickening, discouraging view.


I read on another blog, can't remember which one, where the blogger had the same problem as I. She used a recipe of white vinegar, lemon juice and dishwashing liquid, put it all in a spray bottle, gave it a shake then sprayed away.  She said to let it soak on the surfaces for 30 minutes, then scrub, rinse and it'll look nearly brand new.  She had amazing before and after pictures.  I was super excited and filled with hope.

I followed the instructions to the "T".  Disappointment.

Here's the after shots:




I was not impressed.  It's a very small improvement...I even used a straight edge razor to work on the really thick crud and even that didn't do much.

Here's an easier comparison:

BEFORE
AFTER
And another view:

BEFORE
AFTER
So, I pulled out the ole trusty olive oil and gave it a buff and polish.




That's a little better, it at least helps hide all the "ick" but I'm still disappointed because the next time I clean it I'll have to treat it with olive oil again to maintain this shiny look.  I so wanted this to work!  Any of y'all got any other tried and true methods?

Until we buy a new sink (probably not stainless steel) and new faucets, this one will have to do.


At least I know it's clean.



8 comments:

  1. We also have very hard water in Texas, so I spend a lot of time scrubbing my sink. One thing that I found that helps a lot to keep the hard watermarks from forming is pledge orange oil. I use it every day after I finish cooking and clean the sink really well. Here is a link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pledge-Furniture-Polish-With-Orange-Oil-16-fl-oz/14862640. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria, I will certainly give it a try and thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  2. Hi Audrey! We have the same problem on our stainless steel sink here in NH! So happy to find a solution - yours looks great, so I will try ***try*** to do the same.

    Newest follower! Would love for you to come check out my blog as well!!!

    www.barefootbysea.com

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Jessica, give it a shot, it can't hurt. The olive oil really made it look so much better, I'm going to do that more often now that I've seen what it can do.

      Thanks for the follow, I will check out your blog. :)

      Have a great day.

      Delete
  3. Shaklee Scourer off paste...When I say amazing I'm not kidding. I use it to clean everything. My glass stove top, ring around a tub, and my oven always looks new. This is where I bought mine:

    http://simplyclean.myshaklee.com/us/en/products.php?sku=00430

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denyse I will give it a shot, it's certainly worth a try. Thanks for stopping by and have a great night.

      Delete
  4. Lime Away will remove the build up of minerals. Use according to directions and I use an old soft toothbrush around the faucets. After that you can keep up with a little vinegar to maintain it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, tried that already and it didn't work. I've literally tried everything with little to no results. It's just time for a new, porcelain sink. Thanks anyway and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by, I love comments and try to answer every one of them so come on, talk to me :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...