January 4, 2013

Tissue Paper Covered Candle Holder

You know all those glass candle holders you're left with after you've burned the entire candle?  You know the ones I'm talkin' about, like from Yankee Candle Co. or Bath and Body Works?  I have a million of them, well it feels like that many anyway.  I can't bring myself to throw them out because surely I can reuse them, right?  Occasionally I'll use them to hold candy, nails & screws, even homemade cocoa mix.

Then I thought, why not use them for...well...candles?  But they're just plain ole glass candle holders, not really pretty.  So while brainstorming for ideas I remembered a technique I used to make my mom and sister a few nifty things for Christmas one year so I thought I'd try it on one of those candle holders and see what it looks like.

Well, it looks fab!  I love it!


Don't you just love it too?  You do?  You want to try one yourself?  Well okay then, this is how we do it. (Singing Montell Jordan's song while typing that)

For this project you will need:


  • Tissue paper in your choice of color
  • Mod Podge
  • Sponge Applicator
  • Candle holder (with or without lid)
  • Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating (I used Krylon)
  • Aleene's Tacky Glue
  • Beading or fancy shmancy trim
  • A votive candle or tea light

First, tear your tissue paper into squares about 2" x 2", tear enough of them to cover whatever you're applying them to, it's always better to have too many than not enough.


Coat your glass with a thin layer of Mod Podge, just enough for one square of tissue paper.


You want to crinkle your paper before you apply it, just gently ball it up and then slightly open it up and lay it on the area you coated.  It's okay if each piece overlaps and being messy about applying them is essential to achieve the desired effect. Gotta love being able to not be perfect ;)  Don't worry about the bubbles in the MP, they will disappear when dry.


Next, dip your sponge applicator in your Mod Podge and pounce it over the tissue paper.  DO NOT BRUSH it on or you will straighten out the wrinkles.  You want to dab it or pounce it on, completely covering each piece of paper with the Mod Podge.


Once you have covered the entire candle holder (and lid) allow them to dry completely, I usually give them overnight to totally dry.  This is how it will look when you finish:


After it has dried you can then seal it with the Acrylic Spray.


I usually give it two coats to make sure it's completely protected allowing it drying time between each coat. This photo was taken without a flash:


And this photo was taken with a flash:


Beautiful huh?  But we're not finished yet.  We gotta add some bling.  Apply your trim or beading with the Aleene's Tacky Glue, love that stuff!


Yeah, that's the ticket...gotta add some sparkle, it just gives it a special touch don't ya think?

So here's the final product, I just put a tea light in there but you can use a votive as well, but since this holder is quite larger than a votive candle if you choose to use one you might want to use a votive holder inside this candle holder or it will melt funky and not last long at all.


And with the lid:


I dug around in my computer and found pictures of what I made my mom and sister.  They each got a white item and I made a peach one for my mom and a pink one for my sister.  Both got one apothecary jar and one hurricane lamp.  These are quite big and took a lot of tissue paper, time & patience but they're beautiful and mom and sis loved them so it was worth it.

This is my sister's set:


And this is my Mom's set:


As you can see, you can use any color tissue paper and when light filters through the glass it looks so pretty.

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and that it has inspired you to give this a try for yourself!

Thanks for stopping by and have a fantastic weekend!  :)

I shared this post with all the great blogs hosting link parties found here.

65 comments:

  1. Very clever Audrey. I can't bring myself to throw away these jars either. ♥
    Martha Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right...they do look fabulous and we are on the same wavelength. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know about your post. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy and thank you for stopping by and checking it out! Have a great weekend yourself. :)

      Delete
  3. What a great tutorial and I DO want to try it! Yours look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie and thank you so much for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. Audrey, These pretty candle jars are so so creative! What an easy and fun project! The white ones are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvonne and thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. Hi Baby girl, Mom loves her candle, it brings so much light. I think the paper being white reflects light. I love all you make me. The instruction you gave is so wonderful . I am going to try some myself for Aunt Bob and Janie next Christmas. I have lots of those jars too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love yours mom. <3 If you don't use your jars, you know I will!

      Delete
  6. I love this one! I am going to have to make a few of these for my winter theme mantel. Thansk for sharing the step by step. I started a brand new link party and would love for you to share this great project. http://designeddecor.com/talkin-about-thursday-1/
    Happy New Year!
    DeDe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much DeDe, I'm honored! You're the first person to ask me to share something from my blog :) I'm so excited, especially since I just started blogging regularly at the end of December. I'm having so much fun doing it too, it really keeps me motivated. I'll go now and join your link party :)

      Delete
  7. I can't ever throw those jars away once the candle has burned out, but I always find good used for them. This is a fun, cute and clever trick. Thanks for sharing.

    Thanks for your comment about the Banana Bread. Us "Moms" know a good recipe when we see one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Carol and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. Hi Audrey, I just found your blog and wanted to tell you that I like your vases very much. Each one is pretty but pink is my favorite color so your sis's is my favorite one. I think this would be fun to do so I might try it. Hope mine turns out as nicely as yours!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Shannon and thank you for visiting my blog! I'm sure your's will turn out beautiful, it's very easy and you'll have something very pretty for yourself when you finish it :) I think I'm going to make a few red ones myself for a Valentine's Day vignette.

      Delete
  9. That is just too cool! I love the frosted glass look the tissue gives the jar! Coming over from Between Naps on the Porch. I am your newest follower!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanine! And thanks for stopping by and following!!!

      Delete
  10. What a fun craft! I have lots of the empty jars. This looks like such a great way to use them again--even prettier the second time around.

    Visiting from Debbiedoo's and looking forward to following.

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam and thanks for visiting! I'm going to check out your blog right now, the title sounds very intriguing! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  11. Audrey,
    This turned out beautiful. Also love the ones that you did for your mom and sister. You have my gears turning! I have several items that would look nice in this treatment and I might just do some of them. If I do, I will link back to your site to show where I got the inspiration from. Thanks so much! Visiting you from Debbie Doo's party. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jana and thanks for stopping by! I'd love to see what you do as well, let me know how it turned out. Have a great day.

      Delete
  12. Super chic!!!! Been wanting to make some of these! Stop by
    http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/search/label/DIY%20Dollar%20Hats
    http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/01/love-me-love-my-dog.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sew Sweet and thanks for stopping by, I'll check out your blog as well. Have a great week!

      Delete
  13. Great way to use turn something that would have been trashed (or recycled) into something beautiful! I'd love it if you stopped by and linked up at Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays at A Jennuine Life. http://ajennuinelife.blogspot.com/2013/01/thrifty-to-nifty-thursdays-4.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn and thank you for stopping by, I will definitely check it out. Have a great day.

      Delete
  14. What a great recycling idea. I always throw those jars out, but no more. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie and thanks for stopping by! Have a great day.

      Delete
  15. Love the effect of the paper. The colors really make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deneen and thanks for stopping by! Have a great evening.

      Delete
  16. These are so pretty! I'm always saving glass jars so I think I have everything to give this a try. Thanks for the tut and for linking up at Transformed Tuesday. Hugs Peggy. P.S. I'm a new follower. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy, thank you and thanks for stopping by and for the follow! Have a great evening.

      Delete
  17. Love the addition of the trim. So elegant!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana and thanks for stopping by, have a great evening.

      Delete
  18. So very lovely! That treatment truly transforms it into something ethereal! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danni and thanks for stopping by! Have a great evening.

      Delete
  19. really pretty, love the wonderful texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra and thank you so much for stopping by today, have a great evening.

      Delete
  20. love these thinking about maybe using these in an upcoming wedding I am involved in
    come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie and thanks for stopping by. This candle holder looks so beautiful lit up, I'm sure you'll like it if you make them. I'll check out your blog. Thanks again and have a great night.

      Delete
  21. Just stopped by and really like these modge podge jars! New Follower too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jemma and thanks for stopping by, have a great day!

      Delete
  22. I love ModPodge!! Have you tried to make your own yet? Its super easy - just Elemers and water and works just as great! Thanks for sharing, Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jocie. No I haven't tried making my own, I've heard that you could but I have SO much Mod Podge that I think there's enough to last me a year! Thanks for the tip though, I'll have to try that one day. have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  23. Very unique idea. It looks really great with the light filtering through. Love the little extra with the beads. I am going to try this for my candle holder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela and thanks so much for stopping by! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  24. Lovely -- that bit of bling around the top really is a perfect touch! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlene and thanks so much for stopping by! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  25. This is a great idea and a lovely idea for a little stocking filler too.

    Thanks so much for linking up!

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah and thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  26. Oh, very pretty! I love that you're reusing something you already have, too, and now it's absolutely gorgeous decor. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie and thanks for stopping by, have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  27. These are quite lovely. I've got a couple that I should do this to. Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathryn and thanks for stopping by! I will be joining your party again I'm sure! Have a great night.

      Delete
  28. These are beautiful!! I love them. You did a fabulous job. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent! So glad to have you share. Have a wonderful week. :)

    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy and thanks for stopping by today, have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  29. wow.. What a beautiful work of art. Love these.
    Thanks for linking up at Friday Fun party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hani and thanks for stopping by, have a great day!

      Delete
  30. Audrey, I just saw your blog. What a great place you have created for us to come and enjoy with a warm cup of hot tea. But I don't FB or tweert or any of the other ways of seeing you. I am new at this and I only use email. Maybe one day. you have a grat site keep it up girl.

    Just for you, Ngorny@aol.com
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! And thank you for stopping by today, have a good one.

      Delete
  31. Love these! Have to try this! Thanks for sharing at repurposed ideas weekly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlo and thanks for stopping by today! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  32. Swinging by from the Repurpose My Life Blog party to say, hi. These came out really nice, I love the apothecary jars with the tassel! And I totally sang the Montell Jordan line, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tricia and thanks for stopping by, have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  33. Is their any negative effect with modpodge or e6000 glue knowing the glass will get hot when flame is lit?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love comments and try to answer every one of them so come on, talk to me :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...