February 11, 2013

Mam Maw's Chocolate Candy-Fudge Recipe

This is one of those "never before shared, secret, family" recipes.

I know, you saw "candy" and probably thought "thermometer" and "difficult", am I right?

Well, it's not like that at all.  It's not hard to make, it doesn't take that long and it is by far the best chocolate candy/fudge you will ever, ever eat.

Some folks have called it candy, some call it fudge.  For me it's kinda a combo of both, whatever you call it though, one thing is for sure, you and your family will not be able to get enough of it, it's addictive.

Here's what you'll need.



Ingredients

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 cups sugar
1 stick butter
1/4 cup white Karo syrup
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup pecans (chopped)

Directions

In a medium saucepan add the chocolate, sugar, butter, Karo syrup and evaporated milk.


Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly.


I repeat, stirring constantly, you don't want the chocolate to scorch.


Once all the ingredients have completely melted and combined together it should begin to boil, no need to increase the temperature, leave it on medium heat the entire cooking time.


Once the mixture begins to boil, set your timer for 5 minutes, it will really bubble and boil but that's okay, that's what we want it to do, don't decrease the heat or stop stirring.  Remember...keep stirring the entire 5 minutes!


After 5 minutes of boiling the mixture, remove from heat and immediately pour into a heat-safe mixing bowl.

Add the vanilla extract.

Now this is where it get's a little tricky.  Mix on medium until the mixture has thickened up a bit and "loses it's shine".  The time this take depends on the temperature of your home to the speed of your mixer, so it's one of those "eyeballing it" things.  It's around 4-5 minutes, give or take a minute.

Nothing bad can happen from this point on, worse case is it "sets up" on you in the mixing bowl before you have time to transfer it to your casserole dish (or any clean, flat surface of your choice).

As you mix it will gradually get a little thicker and then all of the sudden you'll notice it's quite thick and has lost it's shine.  Stop mixing, add your pecans and quickly stir them in with a spoon then quickly pour the mixture into a casserole dish or any clean flat surface for it to cool.  I use this casserole dish:


After about 15 minutes you can slice it into squares and enjoy.


It is the most creamy, dreamy, chocolateness that you will ever put in your mouth, I promise.  Your friends and family will beg for more.



I shared this post with all the great blogs hosting link parties found here.

51 comments:

  1. Audrey, it looks so good! I have never made fudge before. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome Maria, you'll love it! Have a good one and thanks you for stopping by today.

      Delete
  2. Audrey, thanks for this fudge recipe. It looks so good. Fudge, especially chocolate, is my husband's favorite. I am copying this one and I think I will make it for him.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'll love it I'm sure, y'all enjoy and have a great day, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Audry, this is my second comment on Mam Maw's Fudge/Candy. Both of my grown daughters were here at my house while it was cooling. I told them it was Mam Maw's "Fandy." It was still soft and stretchy when they got a taste, but we all think it is fabulous! I thought maybe I hadn't beat it long enough. I covered it and put it in the fridge overnight and it had hardened up quite well by this morning. I sent half of it home with my girls and their families love it too. Mam Maw knew what she was doing for sure. Thanks for this great recipe.

    Blessings, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I'm so glad y'all liked it!!! It will eventually set up, I've never had it stay gooey. And even if it did, I would still love it, lol. Have a great evening.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Looks delicious! I've pinned it to my Sweets board. Found you through the Friday Chaos Blog Hop - Now following.

    Holly
    Holly's Stamping Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly and thank you for stopping by and for the follow. Have a great evening!

      Delete
  5. Looks delicious!! :) Thanks for sharing!
    Have a terrific weekend :-)

    Brenda
    ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda and thanks for stopping by. The name of your blog alone is going to prompt me to visit...on my way now. ;) Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  6. Just saw your link over at Six Sisters Stuff and HAD to come over and check out your recipe! These look so yummy!

    I'd love for you to link up a few recipes at my weekend link party that is going on right now @The Weekend re-Treat!

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shauna, and thanks for stopping by, I would love to link up, on my way over. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I know right? My mom used to make it for us when we were little, but she only did so during the holiday season...I make it year round...YUM is right! Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy and thanks for hosting the party! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  9. My mouth is watering just reading this :) Thanks so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome, thanks for stopping by and have a great evening!

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, how did I get in here twice? Lol! Hope to see you tomorrow on the next Creative HomeAcre hop! I love having you share your posts with us!
      http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-4.html

      Delete
    3. Because Chocolate beckons you...lol. Thanks for stopping by Lisa and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. Yum! My mouth is watering! Thanks so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Lisa, have a great evening. :)

      Delete
  11. With a whole stick of butter how can this not be divine?! Thanks for sharing at my party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by! And yes, it is divine...have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  12. It looks amazing!!! It might be my new favorite and your tutorial is awesome!
    Will you link to my link party?
    Xo
    Isabelle
    www.lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Isabelle and thanks for stopping by! I will go check out your party right now. Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for sharing. I'd love to have you come link this up to our Teach Me Tuesday Linky - it's brand new and in need of creative contributions! http://www.somedayilllearn.com/2013/02/18/teach-me-tuesday-5/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by, I will check out your blog and party! Have a great day!

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing your family's secret recipe with us! It reminds me of the fudge that my daddy used to make on special occasions. I saw your post over at Coastal Charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Kitty and thanks for stopping by! Have a great day!

      Delete
  15. You had me at maw maw:) Thanks for sharing this yummy sweet at my party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I know right? Anything my Mam Maw made was soooooo delicious. :) Thanks for hosting the party Linda, I hope you try the recipe and enjoy it as much as I do. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  16. Thanks so much for linking!! Looks amazing and I am a chocoholic !
    Xo
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Isabelle and thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful evening.

      Delete
  17. Oh, this looks so yummy!!! I want some now. LOL Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week. So thrilled to have you share. Hope you are having a great week. :)
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy and thanks for stopping by today, have a good one!

      Delete
  18. Yum! That does look like a chocolate dream! Thanks for sharing at The Gunny Sack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tonia and thanks for stopping by! Have a good one.

      Delete
  19. So glad you linked up this fabulous recipe at last weekends link party @The Weekend re-Treat!

    Hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shauna and thank you so much for stopping by! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  20. OMG. This looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! If you try it I know you will LOVE it! Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend.

      Delete
  21. Sounds fabulous! pinned. Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlene and thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  22. Just came from The Chateu De Fleurs linky and saw this fabulous chocolate candy and I'm copying it immediately! Thank you so much for the recipe! Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fabby and thank you for stopping by tonight! Have a great evening.

      Delete
  23. Oh, Yum!!! This looks delicious!! Would you consider sharing these and any other projects you may have at my Pinterest Party?

    http://www.thetaylor-house.com/2013/02/20/pinterest-power-party-7-2.html

    Thanks!
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrissy, I'm pretty sure I've shared this one already on your party but I'll go and re-share :) Have a great evening.

      Delete
  24. Mmmm, this sounds like a very delicious fudge! Thank you for sharing!
    Thank you so much for coming by the party too, hope to see you again tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyuba and thank you for stopping by. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  25. Oh how fantastic, and thank you for this. I love a truly great fresh candies in candy boxes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love comments and try to answer every one of them so come on, talk to me :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...