February 5, 2013

My China Cabinet - The Big "Tweak"

Since the weather was so bad this past weekend and I was just plain bummed out I took advantage of the downtime and worked on my china cabinet.

Yesterday I gave you a little preview of today's post, remember?


I've also shared with you in another post, a tour of our dining room, and as much as I love my burgundy dishes they had to go.



 They seemed to just blend in with the rest of the room and it has nagged me long enough.


See what I mean, look at the milk glass basket, I mean it really pops, right?  And I noticed how beautiful the white gravy boat (below) looked sitting in there.  Things just had to change.


We don't have any white "fine china" to display in there so that wasn't an option.

But...I've been clearing out our bonus room, that for years (yes I'm embarrassed to admit that), has acted as a storage unit for boxes of "stuff" that didn't make it to the initial unpack when we moved into our new home.  Why you ask?  Well, I'll share that story another time.

And then I found "them"...and proceeded to unpack that wonderful box that has languished in our "make-shift storage room"...and washed them all up sparkly clean to be displayed.




Tea sets!!!  And all those little things I cherish, well, some of them, there are plenty more but they will have to find a home in a (future purchase) curio cabinet.  I adore tea sets and collectible eggs of any kind.


I had to keep some red, like my red carnival glass.


An my vintage red cream and sugar bowls.


Then there's my gold carnival glass I had to keep in there for some contrast of course.


And let's not forget...I love, love, love this milk glass, another precious memento from my grandmother.


Another lovely tea set and my ivory (I know shame on me, but in my defense it was a gift) Chinese plate.


And my little Lapis globe which I love.

All of it comes together beautifully in my china cabinet, I am SO glad I finally did this!!!


At night:




Just look at the brightness there now, everything pops out and yells, "hey, look over here, I have something pretty for you to see".  Much better than the red dishes blending into the background.

So what do you think?  It looks better, yes?

BEFORE
AFTER
Although I didn't get my wine rack painted or my ottoman covered, I did manage to make my china cabinet prettier.  All was not lost this weekend after all.



I shared this post with all the great blogs hosting link parties found here.

33 comments:

  1. It's very pretty both ways but what you just did has a lighter springy look to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacey and thanks for stopping by today, have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  2. The makeover is lovely. Both the before and after are nice, but I do like the new look, it's fresh and fun. Changes are good ... and when you wish, you can do another makeover, if you choose. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie and thank you for stopping by! Have a great day.

      Delete
  3. Audrey, your cabinet looks really sparkly and bright with the "new" collection of beautiful treasures. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn! Thank you and thanks for stopping by today! Have a great day.

      Delete
  4. Audrey! You china cabinet looks great, I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denyse and thanks for stopping by! I just "liked" your new FB page. Have a great day!

      Delete
  5. Audrey, you truly have some lovely collectibles and a fabulous China Cabinet- I too like the new look for Spring- I change mine out too-I tend to shop in my home also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jemma and thanks for stopping by. Finding those tea sets really motivated me to finish decluttering and clearing out our bonus room...there's no tellin' what I'm gonna find! Have a good one.

      Delete
  6. OH! All my favorite things in one -- milk glass, tea sets, carnival glass! How beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Saw your post over at Someday Crafts. You can find me @ www.crosson5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy and thank you for stopping by today, have a good one!

      Delete
  7. Love it! Your china cabinet and mine are very similar. I recently put all white in mine and am loving it! Beautiful tea sets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SS and thanks for stopping by, the white is pretty, I like it much better. Have a great evening.

      Delete
  8. Hi Audrey, Thank you for sharing your pretty china cabinet display at the Open House party. I love the tea sets and the white does show up much better than the burgundy dishes...though I love them too.
    xx, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry and thanks so much for stopping by tonight. Have a great evening!

      Delete
  9. The white in your china cabinet works really well. I loved the red dishes as well though. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan and thanks for stopping, reading and following. Have a great evening!

      Delete
  10. Visit from Thursday Blog hop.
    Hope to see you around.
    Have a great day.
    Nan
    http://www.blogshe.net/2013/02/finally-thursday-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love rearranging my treasures. It gives us a chance to re-love something all over again. I would like to suggest something for you to try. I would like to see you put two of your tea sets in the two center windows. Then take the red creamer and sugar bowl, put them together and stand a pretty white plate behind them in one of the bottom corners. In the other corner, put one white gravy boat with one of your pretty red plates standing behind it. Put your prettiest in the center windows. Have fun experimenting with your colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good ideas, thanks for sharing and for stopping by! Have a great day.

      Delete
  12. Audrey, your gorgeous china cabinet cannot ever look bad. It looked great with the red and also with the change. I love red and am now thinking I need some red in my home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen and thanks for stopping by today, have a good one!

      Delete
  13. Just visiting as a fellow guest on the blog hop! Loved the post and seeing all the bits you were trying to find a new home for - and boy did you succeed. Will follow you, and hope to meet you around at my place soon!

    Isobel www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Isobel and thanks so much for coming by today and following. Have a great day.

      Delete
  14. What beautiful tea sets! Weren't you just THRILLED to free them from those boxes and let them shine???!! I bet that was a treat! I have a love affair with china cabinets--I re-do mine pretty often--so I enjoyed your post. Looks lovely. ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was like getting them new all over again. Thanks for the compliments and for stopping by, I hope you have a great day!

      Delete
  15. I, too, will be unpacking stored china(for years) into my new dining room within a few weeks and am enjoying your joy vicariously. Rearranging and "making it new" is always a pleasure and so much fun. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and good luck with the unpacking and enjoy fixing up your dining room :) Have a good one.

      Delete
  16. It looks wonderful Audrey! I love everything...especially those lovely tea sets. Thank you for sharing at our Pinteresting Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by today. Have a good one.

      Delete
  17. I am always amazed at the people who just put dishes in the china cabinet and just leave them there. I collect Noritake, I have 5 sets, and I change out the china cabinet every couple of months. I move the stuff around, experiment with the shapes. At Christmas i put all the Christmas dishes in it. The china cabinet is such a large focus of the room, it seems a shame not to do something with it. Her idea of displaying her toy tea sets is great. After the first of the year, I am putting the white and gold dishes in, and intermixing the child's set with them. Both patterns match. i think her ideas are great, and what a beautiful cabinet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love comments and try to answer every one of them so come on, talk to me :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...