February 7, 2013

Ottoman Tray Lined With Wine Corks

Happy Thursday y'all!  One more day before the weekend.

I worked on a fun little project yesterday.  I still had hundreds of wine corks leftover after making my wine cork wreath amazingly enough.


And I've had ideas swirling around in my head of what I wanted to do with them.

Like coasters and a trivet as pictured below:

Source Unavailable
Source
I came across a tray, while upstairs decluttering in the bonus room one day, made out of wicker and metal.  I knew the moment I saw it what I wanted to do.


Can you guess?  No...I'm not going to just toss them in there, although that may look okay too...I wanted to make a "Wine Cork Tray" to sit on my ottoman, that is if I ever get it done.

I Googled of course, prior to starting it, to see all the many designs that other folks have done.  I had a hard time deciding too because they all look great.

But I found one I really like and went with it.  I armed myself with my trusty glue gun and began.


As you can see, the corks are glued onto a thick piece of a moving box that I cut to fit, I didn't want to glue them directly to the wicker in case I got tired of the look.  This way, I can just pry the board out, corks and all and the wicker will still be there safe, sound and unharmed.  Plus, this provides a good, even base so all the corks will line up perfectly, we wouldn't want someone to place their glass of wine on there and have it topple over because of an uneven surface, know what I mean?

I made the outer ring with the writing on the corks hidden to give it a little contrast.  As you see in the photo below, not only is there a pattern with the corks, I also alternated writing side to plain side.


I did have to make some cuts here and there, but it wasn't difficult with a super sharp knife and careful measuring (or eyeballing).


The whole project from beginning to end only took me about 1 1/2 hours.  I put on my favorite movie of all time, Sabrina (the one with Julia Ormond and Harrison Ford) and just glue-gunned myself silly.


The center 12 are "special occasion corks", I placed them in the middle all grouped together.  I have to admit, I love the way it turned out.  How about that unique little black cork?  I had to do it, I don't even remember what that wine was, whether it was a special occasion or not but I wanted it in the tray.  It'll make for good conversation I'm sure.


I love how you can still see the wicker on the sides, it's like it was meant to be, the wicker is the perfect height to cradle the corks.


So there we have it, a quick, easy, inexpensive ottoman tray.  I already had everything I needed so this project cost me zero, now that's what I call a good deal!  But you can purchase a tray for very little and surely you have this many corks stashed here and there, a glue gun, glue sticks and a good movie...that's all it takes.

Thanks to Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for her tips on capturing the "blue hour" and sharing the site that shows you exactly when the blue hour is in your area, I finally got a decent shot of the blue hour outside our breakfast room window.  I think I should have waited a few more minutes but this will do for now, practicing with my new camera can only improve my shots...hopefully.


Have a great day y'all.



I shared this post with all the great blogs hosting link parties found here.

69 comments:

  1. I love your wine cork tray! I especially love that you put the special ones in the middle and that black one really makes it unique! Great project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danni and thank you for stopping by today, have a good one!

      Delete
  2. This is a great way to use up those wine corks. I have a whole jar full waiting for a project. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Susan and thanks for stopping by today, have a great one!

      Delete
  3. This is such a great idea! Unique and clever :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica and thanks for stopping by today, have a good one.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Donna and thanks for stopping by. Have a great evening.

      Delete

  5. Great blog here! I'm a new follower from the blog hop. :)

    http://www.nadanadalimonada.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, thank you and thanks for coming by and for the follow! Have a great day.

      Delete
  6. Love how you found a tray that was just the right height so it wouldn't show the sides of the cork. That was key to making this project look amazing! Great idea and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kadee and thanks for stopping by! I hope you have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  7. This is such a cute idea! Love it! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much and thanks for stopping by, have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  8. this is a great project...i'm planning on trying to get some corks today! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by today, have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. Stopped over from the Serenity Now link party. I haven't seen a wine cork tray like this one yet! Love how it turned out. It was also smart to glue them to the cardboard in case you want to remove them later on. I've been working on some projects lately that involve lots of glue gunning, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! And thank you for stopping by today, have a good one.

      Delete
  10. What a neat idea! Always love a good wine cork project.. Stopping in from the pin me party and doing just that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! And thank you for stopping by today and for the pin, have a good one.

      Delete
  11. what a neat idea, and very lovely. please share here: http://repurposemylife.com/re-purposed-ideas-weekly-22-caught-ya-good-jar/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlo! And thank you for stopping by today, I will share at your blog as well. Have a good one.

      Delete
  12. I am so stealing this idea. Cute Cute Cute!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! And thank you for stopping by today, I can't wait to see your's all done! Have a good one.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you Diana, I hope you're doing well this weekend, make it a great one!

      Delete
  14. That black cork is like the black sheep of your cork family! Thanks for linking up :)

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Sarah and for hosting the party! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  15. You put some real thought into that project, and it shows in the final results. I like the neat final touch of a black cork in the center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stella and thanks for stopping by today, have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  16. Great tip about not gluing directly to the tray. Check out the older movie of Sabrina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna and thanks for stopping by. I've actually seen the 1950's Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn and I just didn't like it as much as the newer one. Which one was your favorite?

      Delete
  17. Another wonderful wine cork creation!! I really need to drink more wine ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyuba! My readers are going to think we drink waaaay too much, lol! Have a great day.

      Delete
  18. What a great idea! This looks pretty neat...Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine and thanks for stopping by. Have a great day!

      Delete
  19. What a great tray!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan and thanks for stopping by. Have a great evening.

      Delete
  20. Terrific idea! It looks really chic and I just may pull out those corks I've been saving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maureen and thanks for stopping by today, have a good one!

      Delete
  21. Love this idea- have to start saving corks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina and thanks for stopping by, yes start saving corks, there's all kinds of cool things to do with them! Have a good one.

      Delete
  22. What a great idea.....Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy and thanks for stopping by and yes I will continue to link up :) Have a good one!

      Delete
  23. What a great use for wine corks...thank you for sharing at One More time. Oh and I fixed the featured button... Thanks for letting me know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy and I went and got your button :) Have a great day.

      Delete
  24. This is really great idea! It would take me a while to collect even that many corks. Visiting from Serenity Now Blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Krystle and thanks for stopping by! Have a great day.

      Delete
  25. I love wine cork projects and this one is great! Thank you so much for sharing.

    Jamie

    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie and thanks for stopping by! Have a great day.

      Delete
  26. Love this, such a cute idea. I need to start saving those corks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thanks for stopping by! Have a great day.

      Delete
  27. What a great idea, and it looks awesome!! You are so creative! Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent! So thrilled to have you share with us. Have a wonderful weekend. :)

    Hugs
    Kathy
    www.lifeonlakeshoredrive.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy and thanks for stopping by today! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  28. I found you from Sugar Bee Crafts! I'm your newest follower via GFC. I host Fluster Creative Muster Party on Wednesdays and I would love it if you would come by and party with us. Hope to see you there!

    Hugs, Smiles, and Blessings,

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin and thanks for stopping by ad for the follow! I will check out your party! Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  29. Audrey I love your tray and I'll have to check out her post on taking pictures as mine are usually not very good. I depend on my Nikon quick shot. lol. Thanks so much for sharing at Transformed Tuesday. Hugs, Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peggy and thanks for stopping by! You'll love Susan's blog, I always learn something new when I go by there. She's a super nice lady too, always helpful when you have questions. Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  30. I want to make the tray - I guess I better start drinking more wine. Thanks for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster. Looking forward to seeing what you link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks FB and thanks for stopping by, I'll see you at the party next week! Have a good one.

      Delete
  31. I LOVE to repurpose items and you did so well with yours! Great idea using the piece of cardboard for a template. Found you at my daughters blog, Trendy Treehouse. Would love to have you visit me at pinecreekstyle.blogspot.com your newest follower, NeeCee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks NeeCee and thanks for stopping by. I visited your blog as well and am am now following you too! Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  32. Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for stopping by today, have a good one.

      Delete
  33. girl, i love wine cork projects...and the drinking in order to get there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks for stopping by Jocie and have a good evening!

      Delete
  34. Nice idea! awesome recycling your cork into a picture frame i really like it ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love comments and try to answer every one of them so come on, talk to me :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...