Before we get to all that, allow me to thank Linda at Coastal Charm and Courtney at A Diamond in the Stuff for featuring the first post I shared of my ottoman transformation. And to Isabelle at Le Chateau des Fleurs for featuring my Mam Maw's Chocolate Candy Fudge. Y'all rock, thanks again!!!
Okay...back to the ottoman...I had originally thought of painting the legs but after finding the perfect fabric I felt that a painted finish would clash with the fancy-schmancy look of the fabric. So I decided to try my hand at staining and sealing wood.
It's been a learning experience, I like seeing the progress but in this particular instance, because I'm so anxious and excited to start actually upholstering it, I hate the "waiting to dry" time.
Maybe because hubby keeps it like a refrigerator in the house, a cool 68 degress...brrrrrrrrr. He's hot natured, walking around in shorts and well I live in cozy sweats and sweaters, socks and warm slippers). Or maybe the air in our home isn't as dry as we originally thought, maybe our dry skin is from being outdoors and not from the house. Either way, the drying time between coats is lengthy.
First though came the prep. I had opted to go with Minwax's Gel Stain so I didn't have to take it down to the bare wood, which helped.
I sanded each leg for about 5 minutes and by that time the surface was no longer shiny and definitely roughed up enough to accept the stain.
Sorry for that poor shot, the sun was messin' with me and I haven't learned yet how to correct that with my new camera.
So I began with the mahogany gel stain...it's the color that most correctly matches our other furniture and it will look fab with the fabric I chose.
I did like everyone else does when they use gel stain with the first coat. I freaked. It looked awful! Here's a shot of it in the direct sunlight.
And here's a shot in the shadows.
At this point I took a deep breath, drank a glass of wine (just kidding, it was early in the morning sillies!) and promised myself not to look at it again until I was ready to apply the second coat.
Here's a shot of all four legs, again, the lighting is horrible, sorry.
The instructions on the can said to wait 8-10 hours between coats, but it was more than that. They do mention the whole temperature and humidity thing so maybe that was it. I had to wait until the next day because I applied the first coat at 7:30 AM and when we went to bed at 11:00 PM it was still a teeny bit tacky. You do the math.
So the next day arrives and I apply the second coat, hoping for a miracle, maybe it will only take two coats!
Not! No such luck, two coats will not achieve the coverage I want, to me it still looks bad.
Next day comes coat number three:
Yes!!! That's the ticket! That's what I like!
And here's all four:
Sorry again for the bad lighting. Ugh.
I decided to add a little note on the underside of the table, maybe one of our kids will stumble upon it one day when we're gone (hopefully a long, long time from now) and it will bring a smile. Or, if we ever sell it, it will inspire someone else to give it a makeover.
Now onto the poly...sanding...poly. Then the fun can really begin!!!
I can't wait to get this fabric on and have it all finished so we can snuggle up on the couch, prop our feet up and watch a good movie. Yay! I'm so excited!
I shared this post with all the great blogs hosting link parties found here.