February 25, 2013

DIY Upholstered Ottoman Progress

A week has passed since I began the transformation of my coffee table to an upsholtered ottoman.

Before we get to all that, allow me to thank Linda at Coastal Charm and Courtney at A Diamond in the Stuff for featuring the first post I shared of my ottoman transformation.  And to Isabelle at Le Chateau des Fleurs for featuring my Mam Maw's Chocolate Candy Fudge.  Y'all rock, thanks again!!!

Okay...back to the ottoman...I had originally thought of painting the legs but after finding the perfect fabric I felt that a painted finish would clash with the fancy-schmancy look of the fabric.  So I decided to try my hand at staining and sealing wood.

It's been a learning experience, I like seeing the progress but in this particular instance, because I'm so anxious and excited to start actually upholstering it, I hate the "waiting to dry" time.

Maybe because hubby keeps it like a refrigerator in the house, a cool 68 degress...brrrrrrrrr.  He's hot natured, walking around in shorts and well I live in cozy sweats and sweaters, socks and warm slippers).  Or maybe the air in our home isn't as dry as we originally thought, maybe our dry skin is from being outdoors and not from the house.  Either way, the drying time between coats is lengthy.

First though came the prep.  I had opted to go with Minwax's Gel Stain so I didn't have to take it down to the bare wood, which helped.



I sanded each leg for about 5 minutes and by that time the surface was no longer shiny and definitely roughed up enough to accept the stain.



Sorry for that poor shot, the sun was messin' with me and I haven't learned yet how to correct that with my new camera.

So I began with the mahogany gel stain...it's the color that most correctly matches our other furniture and it will look fab with the fabric I chose.


I did like everyone else does when they use gel stain with the first coat.  I freaked.  It looked awful!  Here's a shot of it in the direct sunlight.


And here's a shot in the shadows.


At this point I took a deep breath, drank a glass of wine (just kidding, it was early in the morning sillies!) and promised myself not to look at it again until I was ready to apply the second coat.

Here's a shot of all four legs, again, the lighting is horrible, sorry.


The instructions on the can said to wait 8-10 hours between coats, but it was more than that.  They do mention the whole temperature and humidity thing so maybe that was it.  I had to wait until the next day because I applied the first coat at 7:30 AM and when we went to bed at 11:00 PM it was still a teeny bit tacky.  You do the math.

So the next day arrives and I apply the second coat, hoping for a miracle, maybe it will only take two coats!


Not!  No such luck, two coats will not achieve the coverage I want, to me it still looks bad.

Next day comes coat number three:


Yes!!!  That's the ticket!  That's what I like!

Sunshine shot:


And here's all four:


Sorry again for the bad lighting.  Ugh.

I decided to add a little note on the underside of the table, maybe one of our kids will stumble upon it one day when we're gone (hopefully a long, long time from now) and it will bring a smile.  Or, if we ever sell it, it will inspire someone else to give it a makeover.


Now onto the poly...sanding...poly.  Then the fun can really begin!!!

I can't wait to get this fabric on and have it all finished so we can snuggle up on the couch, prop our feet up and watch a good movie.  Yay!  I'm so excited!



I shared this post with all the great blogs hosting link parties found here.

36 comments:

  1. Love that you wrote a little note on the bottom! {I would so do the same thing! ;)} If someone should notice it many years down the road it will certainly make them smile! ...Can't wait to see the finished product. :)

    Brenda
    ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda and thanks for stopping by, have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. Nice! It's a pretty color and I'm enjoying watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natasha and thanks for stopping by, have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to see the finished project! I love that you wrote the note. I'm painting some frames right now and came across a note written by my great-grandmother ... it's so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait either Randi!!! lol Thanks for stopping by and have a great evening.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Mel and thanks for stopping by, have a great evening.

      Delete
  5. It is going to be gorgeous! Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. Thanks for stopping by Maria, have a great day!

      Delete
  6. Very nice! Can't wait to see the finished product. I am ALWAYS waiting on paint to dry! It's maddening!
    Sandy
    www.savardstudios.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy and thanks for stopping by, have a great evening.

      Delete
  7. Audrey,

    Your ottoman is coming along well. Can't wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fabric you picked..its going to look fabulous! NeeCee at pinecreekstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you NeeCee and thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  9. I have a coffee table that I am about to make into a bench. Yours is going to look great! Life to the full, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa and thanks for stopping by, have a great night!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I can't wait to finally get it done! Thanks Diana and thanks for stopping by, have a great day!

      Delete
  11. This looks great! I cannot wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! lol Thanks Elizabeth and thanks for stopping by, have a great day!

      Delete
  12. Patience has its rewards! The stain looks good to me and it will all look fabulous with that pretty fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is looking good together Connie, I can't wait to show y'all the final results. Have a good one.

      Delete
  13. Oooo. I really like this idea! Please share your entry on Creative Crafts Thursday, www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com, and any of your favorite projects each and every week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer and thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  14. The stain really looks rich and is going to be a gorgeous complement to the fabric you chose! I can't wait to see it all pulled together. I have an ottoman that is screaming for a makeover, and I don't know where to begin with it. Total train wreck. Thanks for linking up to my February party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny and thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  15. Another fantastic project, Audrey! Thank you for joining my link party. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie, and thanks for stopping by today. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  16. Hi Audrey,
    Its coming along nicely. I love the stain you chose and the little note you wrote. :-)
    Thanks for linking up at Transformed Tuesday.
    Hugs,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peggy and thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  17. What gorgeous fabric! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marci and thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  18. I love the stain color! Thanks for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster. I'm looking forward to seeing what you link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FB and thank you for stopping by! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by, I love comments and try to answer every one of them so come on, talk to me :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...