December 31, 2013

DIY Upholstered Ottoman Finally Finished!

Having started this project back in February of this year and finally completing it in December, I just could not go into the New Year without officially putting it behind me.  So here's how I turned a plain ole coffee table into a high end, upholstered ottoman.

Check out the before and after:


Now for how I got there...and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, but it has been so worth it.

If you recall in my earlier post (and yes I know it was a long time ago) I had just finished staining the legs (which I had cut down because the coffee table was way too tall for an ottoman) of the coffee table.  After they were completely dry and cured I added 2 coats of polyurethane lightly sanding between coats 1 and 2.  They turned out beautiful.

The next step was to meticulously measure and mark where all the holes would be drilled to pull the buttons through.  I have to admit, I got some help from the hubs and his math skills on this one.


I wanted a 3/2/3/2/3 pattern so once we found the center I eyeballed how far I wanted them to go outward and then my hubby did the measuring to make sure that each button would be equally spaced.


We marked the center of each line and that is where we drilled the hole for each button.  Make sure the drill bit is a tad bigger than your upholstery needle so you will be able to thread the needle all the way through the holes in the table.


The next step was adding the wood framing to enable the upper portion of the table (above the legs) to hold the padding and form the traditional ottoman shape.  Once again, hubby was home to assist in the measuring, cutting and assembling.


Terry made a few quick cuts and screwed the pieces to the coffee table very securely, those suckers won't move now, it's very sturdy.  As you can see, we just butted one end against the other, since it will all be covered up there's no need for those pretty 45 degree cuts.


This is where I started to get excited, because once I added the foam it really started to take shape and I could see what I envisioned for this table for years.  I bought the foam from JoAnn's and it was pretty expensive but if you watch for coupons you can usually get a good deal.  I used 2 inch high density and I think it's just enough, not too much or too little.


I used spray adhesive to attach the foam to the top of the table.  I obviously had to make one cut on top and with the rest I filled in between the table top and the frame we attached earlier.  By the way, an electric knife cuts through this foam like a hot knife through butter but I have read that it will dull your blades with repeated use so keep that in mind.

Here's a closer look:


I wasn't worried about covering the wood completely with the foam since I will be wrapping the whole thing with thick batting.  That has provided plenty of cushion on the sides.

So on with the batting.  I just laid it out on the floor and started folding it over and stapling it down, careful not to pull or stretch it.


Awww, look at my little man there, God rest his soul.  He went to the Rainbow Bridge on September 30th, 2 days after he turned 14 years old.  I miss him terribly. *sniff sniff*

Here's how the batting looked once it was all stapled and trimmed.


For the batting and the fabric I used a manual staple gun.  Yes it was hard but I always feel I have more control over a manual gun as opposed to an electric or pneumatic staple/nail gun.  Plus, I didn't want to risk damaging the fabric because the pneumatic stapler is off the chain powerful and really buries the staples into the wood.

I placed the fabric on the table to ensure the pattern of the fabric was positioned the way I wanted it to be, then I flipped it over and began stapling it down starting at the center of each side and working outwards saving the legs for last.


I stapled every inch or so pulling firmly but not "stretching" the fabric, I also turned the edges under to prevent fraying and make it look super neat and...well...professional.


Here's a closer look:


Next was the tricky part and I do mean tricky.  I'm not a professional so I was totally winging it here (with a little advise from my mom via a frustrated phone call).  The corners!  I had to pull, tug, trim excess, fold under and staple...all before the fabric wanted to shift on me. Ugh!  It was a fight.


Due to the design of the coffee table, there was just no other way to get around the legs...but I think it looks fantastic for an area of an ottoman that no one is going to see anyway.


All secured and stapled, I was so proud of myself!!!


I hammered the plastic floor protectors back into the legs.


I flipped it over to admire our hard work.


And a side shot:


But it's not finished yet.  Next...the buttons.  I elected to use fabric covered buttons and it was a first for me.  I followed the instructions on the package to a "T" and...


...it was actually kinda fun and they turned out really pretty.


Here's where "life got in the way" and I quit blogging, I also quit the ottoman and didn't finish it until this month. *embarrassed and ashamed*

Fast forward to December...

I pulled the buttons through the drilled holes and when the hubs got home from work he stapled the thread into place while I held it.  Let me add, there is no easy way to find the holes when you send the needle back down through the same hole you just came up from...you just kind have to poke and wiggle the needle around until you find the hole.


Also, leave plenty of thread (upholsterer's thread) hanging down once the button is through, I had 12 inches for each button hanging so I could really secure it with the pneumatic staple gun by going up and down with the thread like this:


I pulled the buttons tight enough to give me a slight indentation, nothing radical, this was not a deep tufting job (my headboard however...will be).


Now for the nail head trim.  To save money I didn't go with the strip, instead I bought individual nails and placed them an inch apart.  36 inches per side times 4 sides equals 144 nail heads.  Yikes.  And yes this was a tedious job but it really provides the finishing touch.


I simply used a tape measure and marked a dot at every inch mark with a sharpie then I began to hammer and hammer and hammer, with a rubber mallet.  I'm a perfectionist so this took a while, I wanted them all in a perfect row, can anyone say OCD?


So that's it.  I hate that I let it sit halfway done for 10 months but it is what it is.  Now we can enjoy it.


I really like how it turned out.  Here it is with the wine cork tray I made sitting on it.




How much did all this cost you ask?  Here's the breakdown:

  • Wood and screws for framing - $15 at Lowe's
  • Minwax Mahogany Gel Stain - $16 at Lowe's
  • Minwax Semi-Gloss Polyurethane - $11 at Lowe's
  • Sandpaper and brushes - $11 at Lowe's
  • 2 yards of 2 inch high density foam - $33 at JoAnn's
  • Fast Tack spray adhesive - $15
  • 72x90 high loft batting - $14 at JoAnn's
  • 2 yards upholstery-grade fabric - $80 at JoAnn's
  • Waxed button thread - $4 at JoAnn's
  • Upholstery needle - $6 at JoAnn's
  • Covered buttons kit - $10 at JoAnn's
  • Rubber mallet - $9 at JoAnn's
  • Decorative tacks - $12 - at JoAnn's

Grand total: $236.00

The fabric and the foam was a huge chunk obviously, but so worth it.  My hubby and I have enjoyed using our *new* ottoman the last few weeks and we both actually enjoyed working on it.  There's a certain satisfaction that comes from do-it-yourself that is totally unlike just "shopping" for something.

Here's a partial shot of our living room (the lighting isn't the best, sorry), as you can see we still haven't enclosed the hateful spot above the fireplace but we'll get there.


Yay!  I was determined to get this written and posted before the new year and I am going to make it with 3+ hours to spare. :)

New year, new resolutions, I have quite a few I'll be working on, projects around the house, blogging about said projects, eating healthier and exercising more just to name a few.

What about you?  What are your goals for the new year?  Whatever you endeavor, I wish you much success and happiness!

I hope you enjoyed watching our coffee table morph into an upholstered ottoman, thanks for stopping by.  If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to help.


I shared this post with all the great blogs hosting link parties found here.

50 comments:

  1. Just beautiful child, the pictures cannot do it justice. I was amazed when I saw it finished. I love it, now I want one in white,lol

    mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom. I found a lot of beautiful Victorian chairs on Craigslist that we could get for a steal and refinish/reupholster. :)

      Delete
  2. i absolutely love it!

    what a detailed project
    but a great way
    to bring some comfort and warmth
    to an old table

    would love for you to share
    on Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison, I'm so glad you like it. I'm on my way to your blog to party. :)

      Delete
  3. This came out beautiful Audrey! You have every reason to be proud, as I know only too well how projects can sometimes drag out ;).

    Thank you for linking up to our blog hop today, and welcome back to blog land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doreen, it's good to be back! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. The fabric you used is gorgeous. I can't believe the difference in the before and after photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kitty! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  5. This has been on my list forever to do but i think you probably did a WAY better job than I could!!! Thanks so much for linking up at Creativity Unleashed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocie, if I can do it believe...anyone can! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  6. This is quite the project and result is just gorgeous!! http://www.handmadeintheheartland.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela and thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  7. You did a great job. It looks beautiful. Ann Marie @ Iris Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann Marie and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Wow ... it turned out beautiful. Wonderful job and I love the fabric. Thanks for sharing at the Let's Get Social Sunday monthly link party. Hope you entered the Flash 48 hour Round Robin giveaway on our Facebook pages. 6 Prizes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane and thanks for stopping by! I haven't set up a FB page for my blog yet but I'll get around to it soon. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for linking up to The Blog Strut! I've shared your work on my Pinterest page! Hope to see you again this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa and thanks for stopping by today! Have a wonderful week and I know I'll see ya around. :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Kyle and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you Jen and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Audery this is really fantastic! You did a wonderful job upholstering this! The fabric is great and really compliments the rest of the decor in that room!

    I am giving away a fat quarter bundle on my blog this week! I would love to have you stop by and enter to win!
    Inspiring Creations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindsey and thanks for stopping by! I went to your blog and entered your giveaway and I'm your newest follower via bloglovin and GFC. Have a great week!

      Delete
  13. What a great transformation! Don't ya just hate when life gets in the way of finishing a great project?
    Bonnie @ Our Secondhand House

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie and thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  14. Oh my heck, that is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I absolutely love your choice of fabric and this is such a great upcycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Toodie and thanks for stopping by! Have a great week.

      Delete
  15. you hit a home run!!! I absolutely adore this project and will be looking for a table so I can do this project too! Thank you bunches for linking to Twirl and Take a Bow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin and thanks for stopping by today, have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  16. I love when you can repurpose an item and your ottoman came out beautiful. GREAT tutorial. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathy and thanks for stopping by today to read about it. Have a great week and I'll see you next time. :)

      Delete
  17. What an AMAZING job!! It was done so professionally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cynthia and thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  18. Wow! Wow! Wow! Featuring your DIY Ottoman at Tickled Pink Times Two tomorrow night. Absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you Meegan, I really appreciate it! Headed your way right now.

      Delete
  19. Hi Audrey, Stopped by from Lake Shore Drive blog hop, you are a new GFC friend, and I added you to g+ as well. Love love love what you did with the table, nice fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Constance, I just added you as well, through G+, GFC, bloglovin and linky. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  20. I am not a DIYer but I am so impressed with this project. It looks great! I'd hire you to build me furniture anytime! Found you through Click Chicks party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well thank you so much Karen, that kinda made my day! Have a great week.

      Delete
  21. You did a great job. I love the way it came out.
    Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Debi and Charly and thanks for stopping by tonight! I hope you both have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  22. I love this so much! You really did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley I'm so glad that you like it and thanks so much for stopping by today. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  23. I just saw your post on The Chicken Chick link party. I'm getting ready to do the same thing, though my coffee table is a glass top on a heavy iron frame. I, too, am a perfectionist and very picky and judge quite unmercifully when I look up the DIY versions. Yours is great. Well done. You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry and thanks for stopping by. Good luck with your ottoman and have a great weekend.

      Delete
  24. This project is amazing....we featured it at the project stash! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marilyn! I grabbed your button and added it to my feature page! Have a great week!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by, I love comments and try to answer every one of them so come on, talk to me :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...