January 3, 2014

80's Vase Update

I admit it, I was in my teens and early twenties in the 1980's and I have the pictures with the big hair to prove it but I won't scare any of you with those.

I will however, show you what I did to an obvious "Miami Vice" peach vase that I inherited from my mom years ago.  It's been packed away because it just isn't my style and really never was but I couldn't bring myself to throw it out or donate it because it's a really nice, heavy vase.  I'm a firm believer in up-cycling whenever it's possible.

So I devised a plan and this is what I came up with, scroll on down to see how I did it:


I know right?  You can't even tell it's the same vase!

I used Hemp Cord and because of the thickness of the cord you can barely even see the ridges on the vase and the little you do see looks intentional, I'm diggin' it.


Here's how I did it.

I sprayed the vase really, really well with upholstery tack spray.


Then I just started to wrap it from the top and I worked my way around.


As I wrapped, I made sure to keep the string tightly together so none of that heinous peach showed through.


When I got towards the end I flipped the vase over to finish wrapping.


Once I finished wrapping the vase with the Hemp Cord, I rubbed it firmly with my hands all over to ensure the cord was stuck really well.

Before doing anything with it I waited a day or two to make sure the glue was set.


I love how it turned out but it needed a little sumthin' sumthin'.  So I got out my black acrylic paint and a little stencil I had laying around and got to work.  Nothing major, just enough to give it some character.


The stenciling was tricky and wasn't "perfect" but that just adds to it's charm.


I clipped a few of the plumes from our pompous grass in our front yard and stuck 'em in the vase with a little faux grass and called it a day.  It's currently residing in our foyer (which is still a work in progress).


Now I just need to decide what to put on that blank wall.

This was a super easy project, it took me only about an hour total...and cheap...all I had to buy was the Hemp Cord and I believe it was only about $10.  Yeah, I'll take that any day.


I shared this post with all the great blogs hosting link parties found here,
as well as,
Met Monday - Susan @ Between Naps On The Porch
Strut Your Stuff Saturday - The Six Sisters @ Six Sisters' Stuff
That DIY Party - Roeshel @ DIY Show Off
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday - Linda @ Coastal Charm
The Scoop - Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch
Tuesday's Treasures - Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Wow Us Wednesday - Kim @ Savvy Southern Style
Inspire Me Wednesdays - Kim @ Seven Thirty Three
Under $100 - Becky @ Beyond the Picket Fence
Open House Party - Sherry @ No Minimalist Here
Be Inspired - Debra @ Common Ground
Home Sweet Home - Sherry @ The Charm of Home
Fabulously Creative Friday - Jennifer @ Jennifer Rizzo
Tickled Pink - Holly @ 504 Main
Inspire Me Please - Tonya @ Love of Family and Home
Frugal Friday - Wendy @ The Shabby Nest
Frugalicious Friday - Jane @ Finding Fabulous
Flaunt It Friday - Kate @ Chic On A Shoestring Decorating
Show and Tell Friday - Cindy @ My Romantic Home
Inspire Me Please - Liz Marie @ Liz Marie Blog
Creativity Unleashed - Jocie @ One Project Closer
The Party Bunch Link Party - Heather @ Whipperberry
From the Farm Blog Hop - Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life
What Have You Redone - Karen @ Redoux Interiors
Weekend Bloggy Reading - Amanda @ Serenity Now
Link Party Palooza - Jen @ Tater Tots and Jello
Party Junk - Donna @ Funky Junk Interiors
Sunday Showcase - Stephanie @ Under The Table And Dreaming
More The Merrier Monday - Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home
Craft O-Maniac Monday - Jen @ Craft-O-Maniac
Make It Pretty Monday - Kathryn @ The Dedicated House
Twirl and Take a Bow - Leslie @ House on the Way
Saturday Show and Tell - MacKenzie @ Cheerios and Lattes

42 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing, you really wouldn't know it was the same vase. (As a teen of the 80's too I remember the peach everything, went nicely with all the black ash furniture - ah memories!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Wow looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!!! New follower www.fashionphases.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenda and thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Marie and thanks so much for stopping by! Have a great week.

      Delete
  4. What an improvement a little hemp makes! Turned out great! Funny to see someone else's craft cardboard. I have several just like it, paint marks, etc. A little cardboard goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Audra and yes...I use those until they're totally falling apart and useless, have several of them. :) Have a great week.

      Delete
  5. Hi Audrey, Great transformation and I love the new look!
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry and thanks for noticing the new look too. Have a great week!

      Delete
  6. Looks great. I love the stencil.
    Bonnie @ Our Secondhand House

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! Just went and visited your blog :)

      Delete
  7. OH MY!!! The vase looks AMAZING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia and thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous! I never would have thought of using the stencil! I'd love it if you'd link this up at my very first linky party!
    http://accidentallywonderful.blogspot.com/2014/01/accidentally-wonderful-wednesday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebekah and thanks for stopping by and for the invitation to your link party. I went and linked up, good luck and have a great week!

      Delete
  9. This is just amazing, I've been on Pinterest all morning researching how to make a DIY Floor Vase ( cannot afford the hefty priced ones at Pier 1), decided to use two lampshades to make my own and this hemp will just put the final touches...I luv it!!! I pinned and subscribed immediately looking forward to going thru every DIY posted here...can you tell I'm a newbie DIY ;-) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie and thanks so much for stopping by. Have a great week!

      Delete
  10. I love the transformation--I never would have guessed that 90's era peach is hiding under the new finish! It's always nice to meet other DIY bloggers! Dee:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee and thanks for stopping by today. Yes, the peach (and mint green) that took us all by storm when Miami Vice hit the scene in '84 is...well...memorable is all I can come up with, lol. Have a great week!

      Delete
  11. Oh wow...it looks great and you did a fantastic job. I love the stamping you did on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam and thanks for stopping by! Have a great rest-of-the-week!

      Delete
  12. that vase just screamed 1984
    before you got your hands on it

    love what you did with some twine
    and stencil.

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison and thanks for stopping by today! Have a wonderful week and weekend.

      Delete
  13. Total flashback! I remember those vases from when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I know right? I'm so glad it's all covered up Andrea. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  14. Such a clever idea!! I love the new & improved vase so much! I'd love for you to link this up at Link'n Blogs Link Party! Hope to see you there! http://learningcreatingliving.blogspot.com/2014/01/linkn-blogs-7.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katelyn and thanks for stopping by, I will go and check it out ASAP. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  15. Great vase! I think you did a great job on the stenciling, mine would have been messy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melinda and thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Thank you Alexis and thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  17. Great Project! Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jody & Stan and thanks for stopping by! Have wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  18. That is awesome. What a great idea.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thanks for coming by tonight! Have a great week!

      Delete
  19. Oh wow, I love the stenciled designs! Just stopping by to pin this, and let you know I featured it on my blog today; thanks for sharing at Creativity Unleashed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much Jessi and thanks for stopping by today! Have a wonderful week and weekend!

      Delete
  20. Audrey, it's beautiful! Great job, updating that vase. :-) Have a wonderful weekend!
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim and thanks for stopping by today! Have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  21. This is so awesome! I love wrapping things in rope, twine, fabric, whatever! :) It's such an easy way to update something and give it a new look. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April and thanks so much for stopping by today. Have a great weekend!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by, I love comments and try to answer every one of them so come on, talk to me :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...