January 9, 2014

My Home Goals for 2014

Ain't nothing like writing things down when you're setting goals, let alone puttin' it out there for the whole world to read.  I just gotta make a list, not just to solidify my desires and goals, but to also remember them, the ole' brain ain't what it used to be.  I'm not as organized as I used to be either, it seems to take a lot more effort.

At any rate, I'm known as the procrastination queen in my family and it's got to stop when it comes to our home.  I really have zero excuse other than it's all just so overwhelming.  But, I'm determined to accomplish a few goals this year and in order to keep it under-whelming I'm setting reasonable goals.  And if I get more done than I set out to then it's just gravy, right?

One goal on that list...paint!  For 3 years I was a professional painter, I was in my mid to late 20's and I don't want to sound conceited or anything but I was dang good at it, still am, so I just need to finalize my color choices and DO IT ALREADY!!!

All photos found on Pinterest

These are the colors I've narrowed it down to.  I've made some firm decisions but still have a few to make.

Let me explain.........
  • Powder room - SW Virtual Taupe, definite
  • Laundry room - SW Analytical Gray, definite
  • Kitchen and Breakfast room - Undecided
  • Stairwell and Upstairs Hallway - Undecided
  • Master Bedroom and Bath - BM Buxton Blue, definite
The "undecideds" will be decided based on how the Powder room and the Laundry room look when they're finished.  Light bouncing off walls and reflecting the surroundings change the game completely so we'll just have to see how that goes.  

I also have 2 guest bedrooms and a guest bathroom to paint but I won't even go there yet, still way too much to design in my head before I start painting.  I will tackle those rooms when I get everything else I plan on doing this year crossed off my list, gravy remember? ;)

Source

Another goal this year is for hubby and I to install the rectangular trim moulding (some refer to it as picture frame moulding) on the lower third of our dining room walls and paint the lower third white, like in the photo above.  You can read about our dining room and see pictures here and you'll understand why I want to change that about our dining room.

Another thing that made the list this year is the garage, which due to it's size, I will need help on.  The ceiling in there is about 12 feet, and I want to paint the entire garage, walls and ceiling a light creamy beige.  I will be purchasing some shelving units for storage and painting the door black.  I'm using the photo below as inspiration.

Pinterest

If I'm feeling real energetic after painting and organizing the garage, we're going to do the floor in a gray epoxy with the little flecks of color you sprinkle on the epoxy before it dries, like this:

Pinterest

Another goal is to purchase a full view storm door so I can keep our front door open during the day and let more light stream in.  That and a brass kick plate for our beautiful red door and I will be a happy girl.  These are the kinds of things I ask hubby for my birthday, I mean Lowe's and Home Depot are my favorite stores, take me shopping there any day!

Pinterest

Oh I can't wait for that door!

Back to the Laundry room, we'll need to purchase 2 stock cabinets for above the washer and dryer.  Something along the lines of this is how I'd like the cabinets.

Pinterest

But I will be installing shelves between my cabinets instead of a cubby and and TV.  Like this:

Pinterest

Finally, our master bedroom. Ugh!  We've put it off for so long and I don't understand why such an important room has been put on the back burner repeatedly.  It should beckon you to come in to s.l.e.e.p and of course it has to be romantic too. ;)

The color is decided and will be painted this year.  I'm hoping to at least get the dresser made-over and if I'm really lucky I'll build the frame for our headboard and upholster it too.  But I'm just aiming for painting the room and the dresser makeover, the rest will again, be gravy.

I'm painting the bedroom with BM Buxton Blue, not sure if this room is that color but, well, you get the picture.  (The first picture in this post, showing all my paint color selections, shows you the real BM Buxton Blue.)

Pinterest

I'm painting our dresser pretty much exactly like this, although the hardware will be different.

Pinterest (blog not found)

And finally, the headboard.  This will be a tremendous undertaking but after doing my ottoman I believe I can pull it off.  It will be done in an off white, simply opulent fabric and the trim will be in black.  I would love to get it done this year but it's not a priority right now.

Pinterest

I just hope I don't change my mind and go back to my original plan for our master.  I a.d.o.r.e Candice Olson and her work and, in my opinion, this is one of her masterpieces:

Pinterest

Decisions, decisions...when it comes down to making a decision about our master bedroom, I flip-flop, I can admit that.  Which is probably why I've put it off for so many years.

Let's recap.
  1. Buy and install full-view storm door and kick plate
  2. Install trim-moulding in dining room and paint bottom third white
  3. Paint breakfast room - undecided
  4. Kitchen - undecided
  5. Laundry room - SW Analytical Gray, install cabinets and shelves
  6. Powder room - SW Virtual Taupe, install shelves
  7. Upstairs hallway and stairwell - undecided
  8. Paint our bedroom - BM Buxton Blue, paint dresser - white w/Black top, (maybe headboard)
  9. Clean out garage - paint Off White, paint door black, buy shelving units, possibly floor treatment
So that's it, those are my home goals for 2014 and I'm confident I can get them all done.  There is quite a few little projects I'll be tackling also, between the "biggies", and I look forward to sharing my progress on all of it (and more) with you.

I hope everyone is staying warm in this frigid weather, we got down to 8 degrees Monday night and 11 degrees Tuesday night, our auxiliary heater never went off both nights, I dread the power bill.  Yikes!

7 comments:

  1. You are going to have a very busy, productive year Audrey, and I'm sure you wouldn't have it any othe way. I like your color choices...very classic and yet current. I've found that colors that hold up best over time are the ones that are difficult to describe, like 'bluish grey' or 'taupe/khaki'. They seem to be the ones that are truly neutral and we tend not to tire of quickly.

    I'm looking forward to seeing all your projects come to fruition!

    Thanks again for joining our hop today Audrey! It's always nice to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doreen and thanks so much for stopping by. I am trying to keep my colors neutral and timeless as opposed to following a trend and having to re-do everything in a few years. This way, I can insert any color I like via decorative accessories and not have to paint yet again. Know what I mean? Thanks for hosting the party and have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  2. I have been painting too but oh it is slow going. Love your new colors you have chosen. I am going with a linen white cause our house is very dark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I am going to make sure to add you to my blog roll. That way I can keep up on your painting and maybe it will help motivate me. Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Elaine, I hear ya with the light colors, I'm even toying with the idea of repainting our living room a brighter more neutral color and it's only been 3-4 years since I painted it last time! But, I'm thinking I'll wait on that one because hardwoods are in our future at some point and I'm thinking a new color for the living room at that time would be better. I don't know, we'll see. Thanks for adding me...knowing you'll be watching for progress will motivate me! Good luck with your painting and have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. I am visiting via Cozy Little House.

    Your 2014 goals sound a lot like mine. Instead of choosing a word, I came up with a title for 2014 and it is "The Year of the House". We have already completed 2 of the big things on our goal list and we aren't even half way through January. We have the biggest project scheduled for January 23 when we leave on a ski trip. Having our patio redone is a job for an expert, not us.

    Good luck with your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and have a great vacation! I'd love to go skiing too but not this year. Congrats on getting started with your "to do" list and good luck with the patio!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by, I love comments and try to answer every one of them so come on, talk to me :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...