January 13, 2014

Winter Wreath Made With Pine Cones

Last year, after discovering Chrissy's Holiday Woodland Wreath on Pinterest, I set out to make myself one exactly like it.  Rarely do I find something that I like so much and think is so perfect just the way it is that I don't tweak it in some way, but Chrissy's wreath is just that...perfect.

I went to her blog and studied her wreath so I could make mine just like her's.  I managed to collect a bunch of pine cones from our yard and shared that with you here. Unfortunately, Target no longer had the woodland ornaments in their store or online and I couldn't find them anywhere in the entire world wide web.

Bummer.

The wreath creation ended there...and sat unfinished for a year.

But through the magic of the internet and a little bit of luck I finally found most of the woodland ornaments I needed on...you guessed it...ebay.  All except the bird, but I found a very acceptable substitute for him.

And voilĂ ..........I finished my winter wreath.



I absolutely adore it and I think it is perfectly pretty and adorable.  I love Pinterest for this reason, you find something beautiful that someone had the vision to create, that you would like to make for yourself, and then Pinterest points you in the right direction (hopefully) and with a little effort and ingenuity you can "do it yourself", for yourself.

Here is how I made my winter pine cone wreath, that I wasted no time hanging on our door:
For this project you will need:
  • Pine cones
  • 18 inch styrofoam wreath form
  • Glue gun and glue sticks
  • White spray paint (I used Krylon white in a flat finish)
  • Ornaments or anything else you want to put on it


I began by attaching the pine cones along the outside perimeter of the wreath, making sure that the last few I used would completely butt-up against each other and not leave a gap.


Next, I started strategically placing them all over in no particular pattern, gluing them down very well with the hot glue.




Until finally, I had most of the wreath form covered with pine cones.


Yes, there is some of the wreath form showing through but I think once all the pine cones are painted white and the ornaments/embellishments are added, no one will even notice.

In a well ventilated area, using the spray paint of your choice, spray the pine cones.  It will take several coats because you will not get full coverage on them in just one coat without risking drips.  All in all, I used the full can of spray paint, the pine cones were very thirsty.


There it is, all painted, hanging on the inside of our front door.

Onto the final touches.  I firmly attached all the snowflakes where I wanted them to go and I do mean firmly, because everything else will be glued to them...they have to be attached to the pine cones really well.


Now for the mushrooms.  A good glob on the stalk and the head and that did the trick.


Now for the bird, I fell in love with him the instant I saw him and I didn't want to hot glue him to the wreath because I wanted the option to remove him unscathed in case I wanted to use him elsewhere one day.


Isn't he just too cute for words?

So how did I attach him you ask?  It was too simple really, I pinned him to the snowflakes, here's one pin and it's totally behind him so you really can't see the pin from the front.


And here's the other pin, also behind him, as well as the pin I used to hide the ribbon hanger that is attached to the top of his little head.


And there you have it, everything is attached and isn't going anywhere.  I allowed all the glue to dry for about 30 minutes before I hung it outside.


Thirty minutes later, here it is on our front door.





So there you have it.  A simple winter wreath made out of pine cones and a few winter-y ornaments. This project only took about an hour to complete, minus the paint drying time and it was pretty inexpensive as well.

The pine cones...free.  The spray paint and glue, I already had them on hand.  The wreath form was only about $5 and the ornaments were a steal on ebay, at less than a buck a piece and the little bird was $5.

I hope you've enjoyed seeing my winter wreath come together and I hope it's provided you with a little inspiration to create your own winter wreath. Make sure to hop on over to see Chrissy's wreath at My Hoot Designs, she did after all, provide the inspiration for me to make mine.




I shared this post with all the great blogs hosting link parties found here,
as well as,
Challenge of the Week - Dee @ The CSI Project
Met Monday - Susan @ Between Naps On The Porch
Make It Pretty Monday - Kathryn @ The Dedicated House
Share It Sunday - Tammy @ One More Time
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday - Linda @ Coastal Charm
Mop It Up Mondays - Kristi @ I Should Be Mopping The Floor
Mad Skills Tutorial Party - Jessica @ Mad In Crafts
Craft O-Maniac Monday - Jen @ Craft-O-Maniac
Sweet Sharing Monday - Kayla @ Say not Sweet Anne
Made By You Mondays - Cindy @ Skip To My Lou

More The Merrier Monday - Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home
Table Top Tuesday - Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life
Masterpiece Monday - Mary @ Boogieboard Cottage
Inspire Me Monday - Ramona @ Create With Joy
Busy Monday - Charlene @ A Pinch of Joy
Tuesdays At Our Home - Maria @ Our Home Away From Home
The Scoop - Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch
Time To Sparkle - Tonia @ The Gunny Sack
Tutorials and Tips - Beth @ Home Stories A to Z
Create Link Inspire - Katie @ The Crafty Blog Stalker
Take A Look Tuesday - Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts
The Inspiration Board - Carolyn @ Homework
Twirl and Take a Bow - Leslie @ House on the Way
TOO Cute Tuesday - Kyla @ Funky Polkadot Giraffe
Fluster's Creative Muster - Robin @ Fluster Buster
Power of Paint Party - Maryann @ Domestically Speaking
Wow Us Wednesday - Kim @ Savvy Southern Style
Under $100 - Becky @ Beyond the Picket Fence
Treasure Hunt Thursday - Pamela @ From My Front Porch To Yours
Wildly Original - Christina @ I Gotta Create!
Be Inspired - Debra @ Common Ground
Home Sweet Home - Sherry @ The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday - Courtney @ French Country Cottage
Fabulously Creative Friday - Jennifer @ Jennifer Rizzo
Frugal Friday - Wendy @ The Shabby Nest
Weekend Bloggy Reading - Amanda @ Serenity Now
Creativity Unleashed - Jocie @ One Project Closer
What Have You Redone - Karen @ Redoux Interiors
Flaunt It Friday - Kate @ Chic On A Shoestring Decorating
Weekend Wind Down - Nicole @ Mendez Manor
Link Party Palooza - Jen @ Tater Tots and Jello
Saturday Show and Tell - MacKenzie @ Cheerios and Lattes
A Bouquet of Talent - Kathy @ Life on Lakeshore Drive

76 comments:

  1. The wreath is gorgeous and super tutorial too. I love it. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marty and thanks so much for stopping by to comment. I hope you have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  2. Totally gorgeous! I love the colors, they really pop against your front door! I'm inspired...and pinning! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim and thanks for coming by today, have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Audrey, so great to see your post! I also love how it looks and you certainly did a marvelous "copy" of Chrissy's wreath. Doesn't it feel marvelous to complete a project that never would leave your mind? I know it does for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen and thanks for stopping by today! I'm glad you like my wreath and that you think it looks like Chrissy's, I was worried that it wouldn't look as good as her's did but I'm very happy with how it turned out. Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  4. You wreath is amazing! I'm linking your wreath and tutorial in my post today - a sort of wreath idea round-up. I hope it brings you a few visitors. :-)
    Blessings!
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim and thanks for stopping by today. I went to your blog to check out all the wreaths, love them! Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. I have always wanted to make a pine cone wreath and had no idea how to to it, thanks for sharing your tutorial. I have so many pine cones in my back yard, now I just need to get out there, start collecting and give this project a try. Yours turned out so pretty and love the red and blue accents and winter theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren and thanks so much for stopping by today. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  6. thanks audrey pinning and loving your wreath thanks for sharing following from pincentive hop I'm lorraine at http://lorrainesresources.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin and thanks for stopping by today, have a great week!

      Delete
  7. It's beautiful Audrey, and your tut is excellent! You're right about Pinterest. It can certainly keep a girl busy ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doreen and thanks for stopping by, have a great week!

      Delete
  8. Your wreath turned out so beautifully! The color and those cute little mushrooms and just perfection!
    Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Patti and thank you for stopping by, have a great week!

      Delete
  9. This is a super cute wreath, and great tutorial!
    Pinned it too!
    Happy New Year,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joyce and thanks for stopping by, have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  10. Too cute! I love the pops of color and the little penguin. I'd love for you to share this at my weekly link party. Hope to see you there! http://www.thelifeofjenniferdawn.com/2014/01/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-74.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer and thanks for stopping by, I will go and link up right now! Have a great week!

      Delete
  11. Your winter wreath is so cheery and beautiful! I love all the elements of it! We'd love for you to link it up to our All Things Thursday Blog Hop, if you haven't already. I'm following you on GFC, Pinterest and G+ now. Hope to see you at the party!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nici and thanks for coming by today. I will head your way and check out the party. Have a great week and weekend.

      Delete
  12. Love this! I have so many pine cones I'm running out of ideas!
    Popped over from Link'n Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda and thanks for stopping by today. Have a great week and weekend!

      Delete
  13. This is so much fun and the perfect thing after Christmas before Valentines Day! I would love to have you link up to our party at http://www.mycraftilyeverafter.com/2014/01/14/awesome-things-tuesday-9/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley and thanks for stopping by and inviting me! I will hop on over and check it out. Have a wonderful week and weekend!

      Delete
  14. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - you were featured today! - - Mandy, SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooo, thank you Mandy!!! And thank you so much for stopping by to tell me! Have a great week and weekend.

      Delete
  15. I love that you did it in white and all of the little extras you added! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becky and thanks so much for stopping by. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  16. Adorable! And a great size for the door. It has great presence. Visiting from The Shabby Nest. Rachel, www.always-a-project.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel and thanks so much for stopping by! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  17. BEAUTIFUL WREATH. Pinning. I made one of these pine cone wreaths YEARS ago. :) We made them with wire wreaths and we wired on each and every pinecone. What a huge amount of work that was. I like your method better. Best wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! I bet that did take some time and effort! Thank you so much for the compliment and thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  18. Following on all social media including Hometalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, found you too and following on Hometalk as well!

      Delete
  19. This is so cute! Love that little bird!

    Thanks so much for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse Party. I will be featuring these tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison so very much! I'll check back tomorrow to see all your features! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. Oh wow Marie, thank you so very much! Thanks for coming by today and have a great weekend.

      Delete
  21. What a smart girl you are for spray painting the entire wreath instead of each pinecone! When I first saw it I thought "boy, I bet it took her forever to paint all those!" Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeeeek, I couldn't imagine painting them one by one! Thank Ashley and thank you for stopping by today, have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  22. I really love the turquoise touches on your wreath! They really pop off your beautiful red door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie and thanks for stopping by tonight. Have a wonderful weekend!!!

      Delete
  23. Super pretty! I just love the colour scheme. Thanks for linking up to our Weekend Wind-Down Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole and thanks for coming by, have a super weekend!

      Delete
  24. Very cute! Thanks for joining the WWDParty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annette and thanks for coming by tonight! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  25. Oh wow, this is so nice, thanks for sharing. Thank you for linking up with us at #WWDParty - have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Antionette and thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  26. I'm joining you from the winter wreath challenge. I love your pinecone wreath. I'm really into pinecones plus aqua and red together so for me, it's a win, win, win. Thanks for sharing and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah and thanks for stopping by! I love pine cones too and there's so much you can do with them. Good luck to you too and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  27. This wreath is adorable!! love it :) http://www.handmadeintheheartland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela and thanks for stopping by, have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  28. Audrey! I love this! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on over and grab a feature button. Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathryn!!! I've already been over there and was so surprised when I saw that my wreath was featured. I've already added your blog button to my feature page :) Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  29. I have been looking for a wreath to finish out winter for my front door. I think one like this is perfect, love the mushrooms on the wreath.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becky and thanks so much for stopping by today! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  30. Your wreath turned out fantastic, Audrey! I love anything with penguins - they make everything more fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you June and thanks so much for stopping by! Have a wonderful week and come back again.

      Delete
  31. Congratulations Audrey! I loved your wreath and have featured you on Inspire Me Monday at

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much!!! I'll head on over and grab your button for my feature page! Have a great week.

      Delete
  32. Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thanks for stopping by today, have a great week.

      Delete
  33. Super cute wreath! I really like the mushrooms!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you NWP and thanks for stopping by today, have a great week!

      Delete
  34. What a great wreath. I will be featuring this tonight at my Winter Blues Wednesday party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judy! I will most definitely stop by to read your post and grab a button for my feature page. I really appreciate your consideration. Have a great week!

      Delete
  35. That's absolutely adorable! I have pine cones coming out my ears in my yard, I should do something cute like this with them. Thanks so much for stopping by chapter37 and for your kind comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abby and thanks for coming by here, have a great week!

      Delete
  36. Beautiful wreath! I looks great on your red door too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mackenzie and thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  37. Just wanted to let you know that I featured your wreath at this week's Weekend Wind-Down Party! You can see it here, grab a button to show you've been featured, and link up to this week's party. http://nicoleslifeafter20.blogspot.com/2014/01/weekend-wind-down-party-3.html

    Thanks so much for joining in the fun! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole and thanks so much for stopping by! I'll head on over your way, check it out and grab a button for my feature page. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  38. I am SO glad you found what you needed and were able to finish your wreath. Also BRILLIANT job pinning the penguin. He is very cute and I would have never thought of pinning instead of gluing ;) If you get a chance, I'd love to see this on my linkup: http://timeforseason.blogspot.com/2014/02/my-favorite-things-saturdays-215.html

    ReplyDelete
  39. Its wonderful!!! A fun bit of winter decor and I love the little mushrooms. So creative Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I love comments and try to answer every one of them so come on, talk to me :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...